The idea of a European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) took shape in 2015, as a vision of the European Commission of a large infrastructure to support and develop open science and open innovation in Europe and beyond.
The EOSC is projected to become a reality by 2020. The European Open Science Cloud is envisioned by the European Commission as a supporting landscape to foster open science and open innovation: a network of organisations and infrastructures from various countries and communities that supports the open creation and dissemination of knowledge and scientific data.
The EOSC portal collects and deliver the services researchers need for their work. It is an online platform where researchers can learn about what is available, as well as access services, tools to manage data and compute & storage resources.
The EOSC secretariat addresses the set-up of an operational framework supporting the overall Governance of the EOSC. Led by a consortium of experienced and complementary partners, the project maintains a practical approach to address all the specific needs of the coordination structure expected by the EOSC.
EOSC in Belgium
- Bart Dumolyn of EWI is the Belgian representative in the EOSC governing board
The working groups of the Executive Board and nominated Belgian experts are:
- WG Architecture: Frederik Coppens (VIB – ELIXIR)
- WG FAIR: André Heughebaert (Belgian Biodiversity Platform)
- WG Landscape: Dr. Sadia Vancauwenbergh (UHasselt research coordination)
- WG Rules of participation: Dr. Rachel Leproult (ULB European Liaison officer)
WG Sustainability: Dr. Patricia Mergen (Royal Museum for Central Africa)
- ARCHIVER – Addestino
- BE OPEN – European Conference of Transport Research Institutes, Fehrl, UITP
- ENVRI-FAIR – Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
- EOSC-hub – Université de Liège, VUB
- EOSC-Life – ERINHA, VLIZ, UGent
- EOSC-Pillar – Ghent University
- EOSC-Secretariat – Technopolis Consulting Group Belgium
- ESCAPE – Royal Observatory of Belgium
- FAIR4Health – HL7 International Foundation
- FAIRplus – Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V.
- FAIRsFAIR – EUA
- GN4-3 – Belgnet
- OCRE – RHEA System
- OpenAIRE-Advance – UGent
- PaNOSC – Association Internationale Extreme-Light-Infrastructure Delivery Consortium
- PRIMAGE – SIOP Europe ASBL