Let’s celebrate International Open Access Week together. Join us in the yearly Open Access week by attending one of our webinars.
26th October – Free open access
Researchers and research audiences alike are considering the challenges and opportunities of open access publishing. To this end we like present free, sustainable and open alternatives to the traditional publishing route. This webinar is aimed at researchers and focuses on different possibilities to open up scholarly publishing at no costs for researchers without violating copyright.
Find out how to:
- negotiate your rights as an author with publishers
- engage with the ethics of academic publishing
- find and use alternatives to paid open access publishing
- use repositories as digital platforms for free, immediate and permanent access to research.
26th October, 12 am to 1 pm: Open access free alternatives for Researchers
- 12 am – 12:15 am | An introduction to Open Research Europe – a researcher perspective – Daniel Spichtinger (University of Vienna)
- 12:15 am – 12:30 am | PCI, Peer community in – Bertanne Visser (UCLouvain)
- 12:30 am – 12:45 am | Copyright and right retention strategy for researchers – Stephen Eglen (Cambridge University)
- 12:45 am – 1 pm | Where and how to deposit for Belspo financed researchers – SODHA+ and Orfeo – Eric Laureys (BELSPO) & Benjamin Peuch (National Archives of Belgium)
- 1 pm – 1:15 pm | Questions and Answers
28th October – FAIR open access as a sustainable alternative to scholarly communication / A closer look at Publisher negotiations
The second webinar is aimed at open science support staff and consists of two parts: the first part focuses on FAIR open access, the second part will focus on the possibilities of big deals in the transition to open access publishing.
Join the discussion on:
- The current state and evolution of Diamond Open Access journals
- How to return control of the publication process to the scholarly community
- What the Rights retention strategy entails and how libraries can help
- The position of big deal negotiations towards the transition to Open Access
28th October, 2 pm to 5 pm: FAIR open access for Support staff
- 2 pm – 2:20 pm | Pre-recorded session: Open Access Diamond Journals Study: Exploring collaborative community-driven publishing models for Open Access – Jeroen Bosman (Utrecht University) & Bianca Kramer (Utrecht University)
- 2:20 pm – 2:40 pm | Flipping journal to FAIR Open Access – the example of Algebraic Combinatorics – Hendrik Van Maldeghem (Ghent University)
- 2:40 pm – 3:00 pm | Copyright and Rights retention strategy for libraries – Johan Rooryck (cOAlition S) & Sally Rumsey (Jisc)
- 3:00 pm – 3:15 pm |Questions and Answers
- 3:15 pm – 3:30 pm | Break
- 3:30 pm – 5 pm | University of California update on Publisher negotiations and communication with researchers – Jeff MacKie-Mason ( UC Berkeley) & Ellen Finnie (University of California)
- 5 pm – 5:15 pm | Questions and Answers
Programme may be subject to change.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email. The day of the webinar and an hour before, a reminder email will be sent to you with the link to the webinar. You can register for one or both webinars here.
The webinars will be recorded and posted on the Openaccess.be so you can consult them later as well.